Saturday, July 12, 2008

Today was a class-act day.....and who better to lead off with other than Jorge?

Thats right - we can now call him Mr. Morning Lucky Jorge

Absence of the heart....

Well, in this case it is rather true. I have not been able to group ride for some time - name it: work, family, work, events beyond my control. So when I got the email about the century ride today - I was a bit worried. The last 2 group rides I did sucked so bad...off the back after 20 miles...feeling like a schlep. Not from the group - but from within myself.

Rolled into the parking lot at 645am - big group, good friends, hand shakes and smiles....as it always is. Nervous b/c a century ride is a bit demanding when you are not a pro and when you are out of the loop - riding solo most of the time - you dont know the strength of the group. BUT - this group is ALWAYS together and gracious to everyone - all the time....So I was not worried.


Perfect day - a bit windy so we enjoyed a massive tail wind on the way out and fought like the devil to get back home. Cool route - trails & streets to Stone Arch...Univ Ave to the Gateway...Gateway to Stillwater and some demonic climb and then a series of up and downs back through White Bear Lake and then back to Coon Rapids - the CR Dam and Trailhead. I felt good the entire ride - which surprised me b/c my left knee was bugging me on the climbs. Kudos to Dave, Mike, Bernie for taking a lot of the brunt force wind on the way home...the ride home after Stillwater was a solid definition of group...we NEEDED to stay together to make it home alive - quite literally.
As for me - 6 gears and 100 miles. I tried to keep it in a gear without shifting a whole lot - thinking it would help for my Chequamegon Single Speed Adventure in Sept. I will need to rethink the whole riding in Stillwater with a 42t crank however - that was some solid suffering. I was soooooo glad to get out with and ride with more than just my mp3 player. Fun to talk, laugh etc...it could have rained and an earthquake could have happened and I was glad to be out with good buds.
I took the advice of Btrain in the event of a solid ride - treat yourself to a Baconator - and with that I say..... " It was Wonderful ".

4 comments:

nerdman said...

Great ride, nice post. I stole a picture, thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Great post! I think it's amazing that you would ride 100 miles in a single day. I hope you realize that we lazy bums in the rest of the world think you guys are INSANE!

jorgehuevo said...

andy you look super strong, keep it up, and you would be ready for chaqueamegon with no problem, hope to see you again in the group rides

have a nice weekend, and see you in the road

jorge

Anonymous said...

adolfo - you think 100 in one day is crazy? try 200.... see post http://nerdybike.blogspot.com/2008/06/200-miles-7-flats-1-broken-spoke-1.html