Friday, July 04, 2008

kill-joy

Like a tough guy bartender when you've just started to have a blast- my good times were cut short by my 18t cog on the new bike today. Here is the story - my bike came with a 20t cog in the back and that is really light when you consider the front is only 32t. I searched for a solution to have a touch of speed and I found a brand new 18t from a cassette I had purchased...should work....right? well, not really. I am not new to Single speed but I am new to a "real" single speed. If this thing isnt lined up right - no dice. The cassette cog is really thin and when I put in on - the chain hopped off the back. Okay, add a thin spacer to the back and then I could ride but once I hit bumps while pedaling - off the chainring. I tightened, loosened, swore, and then rode home on the road.

I ran into a mt biker - ss - on the "secret trails - where I turned around " and he stated that YES you need to have the SS cogs - not ramped thin cogs. Well, it was worth a try - but its the fourth and all is closed so tomorrow I head out to up the chainring to 36 and get a few cogs.

No comments: