Saturday, July 05, 2008

Frost



I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.



I was reading a bit tonight after my long day on the trails. Thats right - finally some hours (plural) on the bike - and wonderful day it was. I will get to what I was reading in a sec. I was granted the option to spend some serious time on the bike today - glad I was. I had to first find some gears to make it worth the ride. Trail Head it was. The road bike isnt done and thats okay - I wanted to ride the new one anyway. Larry came up with some cogs - 17 and 18t. Perfect. Enough to get going. I headed out to Elm Creek - stopped by the horse trail head and found NO one there with horses - headed into the woods. I had to decide what gear to use - so glad I have options - I went with the 17t - but for some reason I was urged to take the ninja cog - didnt fit.

So, with Sheldon as my guide and my new bike as my steed, I lowered the psi a bit, turned up the tunes and enjoyed the hours. Trail after trail, asphalt when needed, single track loop many times, MTB TT 3 times ( I ended up lapping a guy out there ), headed to the shop and then did the exact same in reverse. I was beat and there was no rest. On the ride, I came to an area I was not familiar with and thought of Robert Frost. I stopped for a drink and thought - hmmmm, where does that trail lead off to? What "is" down there - I found out as I took the road less traveled. 3.5 hours of solid riding on the 29er (google maps said it was just over 40 miles).


So when I got home - and messy I was - I had some protein, mac and cheese, salad and a good read of Robert Frost - i felt a bit connected and I cant wait to get more time on that great bike. Maybe the bike should be called - Frost.

Anyone up for some trail riding?


ac

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quoting Robert Frost? Interesting. Your ride sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Anonymous said...

hell - you quoted the entire Declaration of Independence...