Sunday, September 14, 2008

why we do this? because we are tested... that's why.

the moment i realized i beat my time...final sprint to finish.
Pre ride on Rosey's Field - heading to the main Berkie Trail


pre- ride 3miles into the trails - fast drop...it was raining by this time



Ted and I walking to cure the nerves


Pink is the new black

The line up - crazy

over 1700 bikers start at once...yikes

AK - the rig waits to be driven hard

All lined up - waiting to start - nervous



Matt and I ready to rumble



not in order - waiting to get prepped to ride -


after the finish - going to clean bike - icky/fun



My good friend Pete Taylor and I showing that friendships can last from 2nd grade to age 36 without any issues - we starting riding together in middle school. this is priceless -

Cheq weekend (fat tire pics)
2hours 53 min - finished 161 places better than last year...sucess
Great weekend - where do I begin? I knew a bit more this time - turns, climbs, nerves etc....I was excited to try out the new bike of course but more excited to just have fun. Fun it was - RAIN on the course. Neil - you would have just loved it. It really was classic. Peter Tayor mentioned that it was a Roubaix weekend. I agree.

Pre ride was 5 miles in - 5 miles back from Rosey's. perfect day to say the least. The buzz was all about people saying how they were going to attack the hills, best lines etc....hell, just ride it. with 1500 plus people - your plans meaning nothing - ride.

Up early to the start line - good start - 5 rows back. the cannon shot and we are cruzin through hayward enjoying the sights but trying to find the best line. Hogeland was the dare-devil whizzing in and out of people getting up front (he did really well). Single speed folk kinda filter back - Jesse and Marko's brother passed me on the roll out - he was flying. Hit the trails and began gaging my strength....my lack of riding this year was easy to see right away. my overall fitness wasnt quite there but i felt good. Then the rain...it was soothing of course but it made me wonder - is this going to be easy or hard....in some ways it was easy - the mud said it wasnt.

By "OO" i was cramped pretty bad - my abs were torn and i felt like sitting up - I kinda did while i tried to work out the cramp...gut cramps suck. I came into the OO feed zone and missed the water cup and splashed the water in the kids face...missed the second on and splash that on the nice lady......the last person had the bananna - he ran with me and i got a bite of food...to only throw it up upon swallowing...it was funny. The guy behind me said " well, you dont see that everyday - that was the funniest thing I have ever seen.." well, i am glad he found humor.

after the cramp went away - i felt like super man but unfortunately i lost my chance to catch up to Jay or Bob....well, i have feeling they were way out....and hell, was I really going to catch up to them or keep up with them? NO. so thus begun the picking off of people - one at a time. I hung with 4 single speeders all running 61 gear inches and we helped each other. it was cool. our own team - of single speed fools. I dismounted 3 times only and i was happy with that. lots of speed and the low tire pressure helped a lot...i was surprised with my daring on this ride. parts of the ride were not friendly - most of the course was really wet...the grass was fast the mud was not.

I had a blast hunting down the next rider. once the 10 miles to go sign passed - i figured i was with who i was going to finish with....then as we hit flats - i ramped up the rpms....trying to recover from the hills..it wasnt easy...my miles were low this year yet i was happy with how i was riding. i felt vomit surfacing every now and then so i can say that I was riding "just below puke" the whole ride. I left nothing on the table saturday.

Fire tower hill is a walk-fest anyway so i was not upset to have to walk it. i admire ANYONE that rides up that frickin wall. Once up top we started on the berkie rollers - these suck after the FT hill. My calf muscles were cramped walking up that hill....i hung in with the same SS guys and I noticed that the group of 10-15 around me were the same from mile 20. The cramps then went away and I felt great - i hammered the best i could and gapped some of them - i had no issues with traction - the crossmark tires are perfect. I ran with 25 psi and it was the best. I just need to ride more to keep the cardio and resp fitness up there.

with about 4 miles to go i had to drop my sunglasses - had issues with finding my back pocket and then while i slowed down, about 15 people passed me up. I got back on it and hammered to catch up - the last 2 miles were really fast. I burried my head and watched the sweat drip from my nose and as i caught the group i noticed that many were blown off the back. the drop into Telmark was great - I saw the 8 people left ahead of me - i stood up and pushed hard - passing in the tall grass - a quick break check had the group hesitate as i swung to the right side and passed them on the first turn into the shoot. I stood, sprinted as I heard someone yell my name, that gave me what i needed to pass the last single speeder of the group to cross the line by myself - 6 mins faster than last year....i was jazzed considering the course this year.... then there was Peter - with the high five and a hug.

Cheq this year? it was well....wonderful. I will remember this day.

5 comments:

jorgehuevo said...

you did it

congratulations

nerdman said...

Three times off the bike... That is unbelievable. Wow! Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Dahl dismounted only at Fire tower on his single....his fastest time yet...on a single...stunning.

Anonymous said...

http://timmercentral.wordpress.com/2008/09/15/chequamegon-fat-tire-40/

Anonymous said...

Tested for ADHD?