Sunday, September 07, 2008

Built in Sauna

Yup - I have my own hot room in my house and I have neglected its use for so many years. The other day....week actually....my bathroom exhaust fan opted to break - fan blades or motor - either way it was not working. So, take some measurements and try to find the same size housing - no such luck. Today was the day so I had to do something. The one I got was a bit bigger with more options...which meant going into my attic of doom to replace the main unit.

This place is not scary - just FRICKIN hot. Trying to move around up there is interesting. you cant see the rafter location under the rolled and blown insulation so it was like wondering if I was going to bust through the ceiling like in Christmas Vacation. I was nimble and thought about feathers - all is good....except that the fan unit was out near the edge so that meant NO room and also re wiring the unit b/c the entry point for the wires was on the other side of the new unit - and not enough wire to reach - added a junction box ran more wire and made it work.

Had to cut the opening about 2 inches more each way, rework the ductwork to meet code and so it actually flowed okay and all within the confines of no room to work. It was not fun but check off that SOB from the list - Tina better like this new - "whisper" quiet model. It cost good money and really pissed me off while installing.

What was funny was while i was toiling and swearing under my breath...and over....i could hear Christmas music playing and the kids singing. They also fired up the EZ Bake oven and were making cookies and passing every other one up through the hole more me to eat...it was cute despite me being upset.

oh, did i mention the fiberglass in the skin deal? fun with home projects.

No comments: