Sunday, September 16, 2007

Cheq 40 - first time...

First Time At the Fat Tire...
2:59:26 single speed rigid - 29lbs
This was perhaps the funnest thing I have done in a long time - and I didn't even loose my keys...I did loose my water bottles though...many did. I did get to stay with Bryan L of the Loons and some mutual friends of ours...nice digs and super cheap...we had a full out rib/chicken diner on sat...fun was had by all.

Cheq40...No idea what to expect - NONE - and my steed was 29 pounds +, full steel...not the best, and lots of ambition...and a cool paint job. the lead out was fast. I didn't have a computer but I would guess it was mid 20's easy for 3 miles to Rosey's field....hit the grass and keep on going. the sucky thing was that you need the keep momentum high on the ss. if the pack slows in front of you - you are walking up even an easy hill....right away at rosey's field...walk. i was upset.

Then onto the trail/road/trail/etc....I liked the roads...i was moving quick. I do know that I was at 25 on most of the roads - i was geared for it more and everyone seemed to have a computer - which was nice. I lost places on every downhill - and gained on the hills...I was really glad I rode my ss on the road a lot. it taught me to ramp up the speed prior to a hill...it really worked out in Cheq. I dismounted 7 times - that's it. Yes I did count. I was amazed at how easy it was to climb some of the hills ( yes some were not easy at all). it goes back to the mind set of know you have no option along with the fact that you don't want to get off the bike in front of everyone. with 55 psi on the tires and steel suspension - I had a tough time navigating the descents. I was scared really. I had no control - bouncing all over the place while full and hardtails with front suspensions were cruzin by. If I get the chance to ride this again - I will do single but a lighter bike with calculated tire pres...for sure...oh, if I am doing rigid suspension again - carbon front fork.

So fire tower hill was cool - it was packed though. no speed to carry into it - walked most of it. if you could maintain some speed on a single - i wonder if it would be possible to climb....did Jesse LeLonde climb without a dismount?????anyone know????that guy is amazing - his set up was full rigid 29er, carbon front fork, 36x16....with 180 mm cranks....that is 65 gear inches...holy crap! I heard he finished alone too and his brother Marko was 4th...I saw Tilford after the race as he was talking with my bud Pete - and he wasn't happy with 3rd...especially when 1st was a single speed....lol.

So I finished in the middle of the SS pack and 600 something overall. The best part was coming into the shoot to only hear Neil, Jay and the LOon crew cheering me on to beat my goal. I had tears in my eyes when I looked up crossing the finish line. I couldnt believe it - I really didn't believe it at first...Then right in front of me was my buddy Pete Taylor who saw me come in and he gave me a big hug as it was his time last year that I wanted to beat. He knew it and was so excited. It is neat that after starting biking together back in middle school that we had a chance to share that moment.

Kudo's to the Loon crew - you know who you are. you made me feel like a million bucks when I actually felt like a pile of broken bits. Next year????? Single???? you bet - just not the one i rode this weekend. The rat bike needs to retire to a winter pasture or training roll. if the money is there....Rita.....if not then i would settle for Redline Monocog.

I did show up at Telemark for the crit race - Doug Swanson took it in 5 laps....I was glad to see this - Ezra lasted until the last lap...on it road geared ss full rigid... Here is a link to a vid I took on my camera of lap one of the crit. Cable Crit Lap One Vid...lap one only.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nicely written and great job on this race!