Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What about Bob?

So, some of you may ask...heck some dont care [mexican dinner] about "where is the elusive Bob Dahl?" Well, I found this rather hard to find pro-stock phenom. Amidst the clutter of fallen leaves and torn up dirt....there you will find Bob and his single speed.

The day started with my son, Peter, practicing his Judo moves in the living room at 6 am - sound effects and all. With the occasional smack of his hand on something hard - followed with a quiet wince and "wow - that hurt", I kinda found some funny early in the morning. So with him going on for about 15 min, I walked out a bit sleepy and was smacked by what seemed to be our own live in Kato - from the Pink Panther if you are wondering. Seeing that he barely weighs 55 pounds, I was able to man-handle this beast from the nether-regions to the ground and just about tickle the pee right out of him.

He helped me get the bike stuff ready for the commute to work...filled the camel pack, got some goo for the ride and he handed me my helmet as I walked out. Got the high five and the traditional thumbs up from the ninja. Pete told me that he was proud of me and that he tells his friends that "My Dad rides his bike to work - he's a racer." Cute but I am not a racer but I will take the props where I can and I will also soak up the super-dad motif as long as I can.

So I ponied up the single speed Monocog (aka Colnago "Sudden Discomfort") and started down the 15 mile path to work. It seemed more difficult than I remembered over the weekend - I felt like I was pushing steel through my veins....keep going, no time to worry, look at it later. Soaked and sore, I walked into work demolished. Spent the day doing my deal - saving the world I guess - and remembered that Mr. Dahl had asked about riding on the trails tonight. A bit of back and forth and we had it set to meet near territorial and fernbrook about 6 pm. It was a date with mother nature and one gear.

430 rolls around I load up the camel pack, didnt check the bike for the super-slow down, geared up the Irish National Green get-up and headed back to the shop. It seems automatic to always stop at the shop - even if there is no reason. Well, as fate would have it, I did have a reason once I got there - I turned off the headphones to hear my brakes making noise. The front caliper was jammed against the pad - so 25 miles I was pushing the brakes. Quick adjust and it was free of undo friction. By the time I got to territorial I figured I was at about 30 miles and Bob was no where to be found....quick call and he was already heading down the trail so he doubled back. We met, shared stories about the bikes - both Redlines but his is the fancy one (flight model) and the coooool looking blue. I shared the story about the colnago crap and that also I had received some flak for it already at the shop - someone I didnt know - in that "he didnt like it and that I was a poser for doing what I did..." LOL - ROFL - Are you kidding me? were my thoughts...my goodness, its just a bike and its not like Colnago would EVER build such a bike anyway - I guess he was serious so it seems....to each there own. All I can say and I should have said "revert to Rule #6 and chill out - doorknob. "

Back to what really mattered....So Bob and I head to a 4 mile loop that was perfect for training on Cheq...impressive. we ended up doing 4 laps and then about 1 mile of the 5th and I headed home from the MTB TT loop.... I am guessing at 53 miles or so for the day on the mt bike....and Bob doesnt ride slow. He will do well in Cheq this year on his single.

Eggs and toast for recovery, apple as well and some electrolytes for dessert. Once again a great day. Thanks Bob for emerging from the sacred training grounds to let the newbie roll which-ya.

andy (aka the Poser)

2 comments:

nerdman said...

What a dink! There are energy givers and energy suckers. You ran into a sucker.

Anonymous said...

Do not misunderstand my lack of fitness or knowledge with a lack of caring. I really enjoy your crazy biking antics!