Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sudden Discomfort

The Master himself and my fresh rig

Applying the stuff

Done

Riding down Cty N - to Coon Valley - spectacular!

Riding back up - spectacular in a different way

At the top on the way home - looking back

Next morning at Pete's shop - Bluedog cycle

Pete helping out with my bike

Ready to ride....

At the base of Sadi Hallow

At the top of south side of Sadi

Weekend in LaCrosse.

I had plans for this monster epic ride of 100 plus...and thanks to various obligations, time crunches and not enough hours in the day - I was limited to a few rides. Friday I got off work and headed to Terry Osells place to pick up the newly painted Monocog - even Terry was skeptical but when it was done - he was impressed with the color. I was too - it looked good as is and when I showed him the things I was going to try - he was excited. His shop is impressive - certainly a one of a kind.

After talking over coffee with Terry and killing about an hour sitting on his shop floor talking about bikes, wives, favorite jokes and other foolhardy topics - I headed to LaCrosse. Got in late and started work on the application of signage to the new bike. I was a bit nervous b/c I had only one shot with the Colnago stuff - but it worked and I was getting excited. Once that was done I headed to bed to get a jump on an early morning ride up the valley south of town - Irish Hill we call it. 630 i was out the door and by 7am I was at the hill making my way up...I forgot how stiff of a climb that hill is. Then I proceeded to go to Coon Valley by way of Cty Rd N - which is a 8-10% drop into that city...that was fast...then I headed due east of Coon Valley and up the coulee again - and that hill trumped Irish hill...spun around and reversed the ride. LOTS of climbing that day and it was max heart rate the whole way. I pushed and did well and was glad to see the fitness was there.

Once home - we took the family to Rudy's Drive-In for lunch, got home and I headed to Viroqua to build the bike at Bluedog Cycles...3 hours and 5 beers later, the bike was done - we had to work around customers and such. Met Chris Jackson and his brother there - Chris owns Borah and lives 6 miles away - he was buying a bike from Pete...super nice guy. Headed home late and then headed back in the morning for some rather intense single track in Sadi Hallow. I have never really done single track and nothing like this before. It was scary - the fitness was there but the wits were not - I wiped a few times and about shat myself too. We did 3.5 hours of single track and about 3000 feet of climbing on my single. Once done there - hit Culvers and then spent some time with Pete and his family.

All in all - great weekend...road miles about 60 and mtbike miles...I have no idea...all big hills.

Lots of pics - wasnt going to play around with uploading all of them.


Andy

1 comment:

nerdman said...

very cool!