Sunday, January 13, 2008

where did the days go?

I was going through some mail today that should have been gone through about 2 months ago - you know that pile, we all have one. If you don't - take this opportunity to NOT chime in and tell me how organized your life is. Anyhoo, in this pile of pay this, buy that, don't forget these...was the pic from Marathon Foto - Cheq 40. hmmm......September....not that long ago really but it marked the time I really stopped biking on a regular basis. Spin class here and there and a whole lot of working long hours. My zeal had quickly faded to find time to hurt myself.

So - with the daylight getting longer - not by much - and the dvd player working in the garage - I took on the dreaded spinning to Invincible tonight. Great movie - highly recommend it to anyone. I have been out once a week on the real road for 13 miles a ride...but somehow i dont see it taking the same physical effect. Mentally - it is like Christmas morning every time I get the wind in my face but the sloth like feeling is going to have to be overcome and beaten.

I know - I know .... I aint gonna be a pro rider...heck, I dont see myself as even being a crowd favorite on a sign prime but the fitness aspect is driving me nuts. I love the bike - I love the road - I love the hum of the tires and friends that I enjoy all these things with but I also enjoy being in shape - feeling good when I sleep and wake up - knowing I will keep this ticker going for a while longer. There have been darker days in my life that have brought me through some very questionable, illegal activity in my past but nothing can even come close to the rush you get when you are rippin' across 144, leading out a pace line, falling back in place and rotating back in lead - the team - the collective effort - the solo victory. Better yet that awe inspiring feeling of claiming the personal victory of cresting Ramsey Hill to the tune of golf claps from passer by's...for those that do that hill - pat yourself on the back. It takes a lot to get up the dang hill - especially at the end of that ride.

So this is about the time I get on my virtuous cycling rampage - plucking out the grandiose reasons why everyone should bike and why those that think its weird should move to Siberia. Just had to share and get it off my chest...for the 3 readers of the blog. LOL.

enjoy the week.


andy

2 comments:

Erik said...

I am in the same boat. My house is digging out after being sick. I am fighting with my self about spinning tonight. Hopefully the fit side will win.

Anonymous said...

your the man, everyone should cycle