Tuesday, April 15, 2008

the sum of my shortcuts.... morning ride

To not be out done by the Duke, I am staying on course to bike all week to work. It seems that each time I want to do what I know I should...I am met with doing what might be easier or more suitable to my immediate desires. Hence, sleeping in and driving to work sounded like a really nice idea.

I am not saying that I am the cycling dianetics zen master by any means but I opted for the bike, the ride in the 30 freeking mph wind....etc.... Why is it that it takes like 15 mins to realize why you were smart in the choice? I have grown accustom to reaping the reward of the immediate to the point that I cant see the forest through the trees...I mean I just about throw the baby out with the bath water or better yet I end up counting my chickens before they hatch....lol....

Still with my frustration mode on, I get to the half way point of the commute and I am still thinking - which way is quicker I just want off this bike and....whoa! I mean HOLD ON! Yeah, there are shorter paths to the end...there are little off shoots here and there that can reduce the amount of frustration....the end of course is the same either way so find a reason to enjoy and you will enjoy. Sounds like that could work for just about any application huh? Again I am not L Ron Hubbard here but the simple truth is that if we short our experience - there is no going back to get it and we live in the game of shoulda coulda woulda.

From a biking perspective here - I see that the total culmination of my efforts means that years may be extended on my life, Fat Tire 40 might be easier, group rides are more enjoyable, my clothes fit better, I may be able to beat Bernie on a sign prime, I can experience the simple joys of a morning ride and most of all my mind is able to release and know that the journey is well worth the extra miles and effort – some of these are immediate and some are 5 months to 50 years away…that is a good outcome for just getting on the bike this morning – high yield.( by the way, that was one long...run....on sentence....i know it was not gooder english)

So if I decided to plod through the easy route all the time, I must also learn to accept the fact that the sum total of my shortcuts will result in the misfortune of my soul.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Duke slept in and drove his car to work...

Anonymous said...

its okay - I will enjoy the blissful slumber and the enjoyment of fresh coffee en route to work tomorrow - via volkswagon myself. see, keeping up with the duke...you rest, I rest. by the way - THREE WEEKS UNTIL the bowery shows. yikes. backorder.