Sunday, September 27, 2009

talk about perfect....



headed to LaCrosse, WI this weekend with the family for a few days of family and friends...well, more family than friends - and that is just fine with me!

we took our time getting to LaX, eating at A&W in Inver Grove Heights, a stop in Rochester and then once Tina was asleep I cranked the speed up to 85 mph from Rochester to LaX and basically followed a rented RV with bikes on the back all the way to the hotel exit...funny. It was the same rental RV company that many RAAM teams used. I had flash backs.

If you have never been to LaX for Oktoberfest - its a weird thing. It used to be MUCH more insane in years past. My brother commented that in the late 70's through 80's even the Hell's Angels would come into town to party. I remember some weekends(years) that the town would go fro 40k to 250-300k for the weekend...they have toned it down but still...the O-fest parade is like 5 miles long and takes about 2.5 -3 hours to complete - great memories, actually didnt see many friends at all as I think we all look REALLY different now.

The best part was family - Chris, Elaine and Taylor and Nina came into town from Seattle. Jen/Scott, Jack and Nick from Burnsville - us from Dayton...Mom and Dad were in Heaven. First time we were ALL HOME in like 7 years....at the same time. Food was incredible both days - Dad's ribs and Scott taking charge of steaks on Sunday - insane....I HAD to bike for two reasons - 1. why not bike in LaCrosse - you kidding me? 2. the caloric intake was absurd.

Which leads me to biking b/c i wont bore the 3 readers with my family stuff. I had very limited time so I opted for a sprint up Grandads to the flag (actually a faster time now than when i was in college...go figure...yes I have the times listed from many moons ago - my first diytt.) when i was up top i looked across the river valley to the MN side and its about 8 miles across I think. I then figured to bike down graddads then to MN and up Apple Blossom road which isnt as bad as Bliss road but still - it's altitude. it has been since college that i rode up that hill...the memories. There are some nice climbs down south and I miss it alot. My dad and neighbor both workout at UWL field house every morning and they BOTH know Jake Cohn as a result of working out there - how cool is that?! Jake is LOVIN LaCrosse and one of these days i will ride with sir Speedy but O-fest weekend is not the best time - too much lemonade. Got a flat 3 miles from LaCrosse without a tube/kit - one phone call to the best crew member (dad) and he had me in the truck inside of 5 mins...he was very happy to still be TSH Crew!!!!!

A side note - Dad now has a super cool new Marin flat bar road bike with all the gear. He logs about 75 miles a week and he is 70 yrs young. He was inspired prior to RAAM but really got the bug during RAAM...so did I. My dad is amazing!

A fun weekend filled with family, food, friends and biking....

No comments: