Friday, September 11, 2009

1 week to go....


rode with Earl the other day and we danced around the hills of elm creek to the sounds of rain, bugs and thunder - i forget sometimes just how beautiful storms can be out there. the ground was soft and forgiving and the low tire pressure was perfect. the climbs stuck, my lungs were open and my legs kept moving. thank you RAAM for teaching me quick recovery but i must say that each day is in the balance of the days of preparation before. miss one trick - you miss the benefit of fitness...which is why i guess I am still nervous...hey, its a big deal this race.


keeping it in perspective - most of us are not pro/God status on bikes - mostly me so I look at races like this as fun...that's it....fun. beat my old time or just finish and I will be happy. seriously - those are my goals. i have also adopted Dave Hoglands mindset to ride just below puke and that usually helps - kind of.


so if you are reading this and racing on the 19th - and you pass up the orange Colnago (Fauxnalgo) with the Team Strong Heart kit - give a smile, high five, a pat on the back and a word of encouragement b/c after all this race is truly worth just riding.


i plan to push a gear i am "ready" for but maybe have no business riding. I am done doing the math at this point and figure to suffer if that is my lot. i feel strong, i feel confident but each day is different - really different.


enjoy this week my friends and have a blast this weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remember,... Just BELOW puke!
and if you aren't sure... go a little harder.
(You'll be done sooner, and we'll have a cold one waiting for ya!)

DaveH