Sunday, June 24, 2007

RAAM...and so much more

I hope you had a chance to meet these guys - really a class act. AND if you were smart enough to get your lazy butt out of bed last Sat to ride with them - kudos to you. Neil - you raced the entire breadth of this nation to come home and reach another goal - 20 on Sat Morning ride!!!!

That's right - we had 20 riders - including some RAAM guys. We also had a bad spill that caused some $erious bucks - I hope all is okay. The 7 am ride was a simple loop out west of town. Perfect weather was around us and perfect company beside us. We opted to not take 144 back - by the way, I think they are done with that road - it still sucks but I road it in the dark tonight and it seemed okay. The Fletcher prime was close...I thought - again I say thought - I had it after Greg lead out up the preceding hill...he has some legs on him. Bernie and I bridged the breakaway and passed Greg and that sprint up the hill was too much for me and with Bernie at the top of his game - smiled as he snatched the sign...That was FUN. I did win the last prime - the ever elusive Brooklyn Park prime by the shop. I will say it is the uber-cheese prime but it did say "welcome to Brooklyn Park" - so it counts....not really.

The 9 am ride was cool - Evan with his mid 70s Merckx super corsa / up to date Campy was really cool. With Neils Colnago and the Merckx - we were riding in style. Down to Dunn Bros in Mpls was once again very cool. The funny story of the day was the fact that 4 guys about 800 miles each and they only had one flat....to mpls and back I think we had 4.

I think it was just over 80 miles for the day. With me riding to the shop and a lap in the park I had 107 for the day. Very nice indeed - group rides like that make cycling worth it. Lets keep it up.

Enjoy the week!

By the way - taking a look at the finishing riders in solo RAAM - how about John Spurgeon - he finished with a single speed. I mean holy crap, he had some focus and sore legs I bet.


zuko

No comments: