Saturday, June 16, 2007

Goal - I did it!

For anyone with a family - job - expectations - to do lists - not to do lists - friends - sleep....you get the idea....it is a tough balance to find the needed time to train or ride. If you are looking to really put miles in the bank - you can almost forget it with all the stuff you need to do during the week. Well, fate has a way of putting two and two together. This week my car - the trusty VW Jeta - i call it the Jedi Knight...no comments...decided to take a nap whilst i was driving - my alternator went to lunch. Easy enough to change - I hate spending money on that thing however. I have 220,000 miles on it - runs GREAT but the $129 alternator just about trumps the value of the car - but it is better to buy the part than make payments on the most depreciating thing on the planet.

So with my new found inability to drive that beast, the bike became my ONLY form of transportation - except family night out for dinner. To work every day - 4 big rides after work and some mt bike rides mixed in. Goal was first to hit 250 which isn't that bad - good goal but I hit that at the end of Friday and heck - I HAD to ride to Dunn Bros on Sat morning - no one should miss a ride into the cities on sat morning - Bernie - I had their last Rhubarb bar in honor of you...then I had Jay H's cheesecake bar too...then Jorge and I stuffed our Voodoo Iced Cooler Dante's Mocha Espressos into the water bottles and headed to people watch at Stone Arch - perfect day, perfect company. Thanks guys.

Got home just in time to try out the new tensioner on the mt bike - and new chain but the thing skips like its missing cog teeth under extreme load - not sure what i need to do there. So with a complete loop and then some - I checked the running total and 305 for the week. I promised NO RIDING on Sunday - the kids rejoiced. My wife then promised to tear up the divorce papers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow - i should use spellcheck

Red said...

Hey Zuko,
I only just got your comment to my blog, but I wanted to say thanks. Neil and Bernie (and Greg and Tim and the rest of the crew) are all doing well -- tired, but well.

We're approximately 30 hours from the end, and then we're heading back home!

Anonymous said...

I rode 800 miles. HA!

Anonymous said...

I KNOW! Very impressive!

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the areo bars! They were great for excaping the wind and for various hand positions!

NEil

Home Skillet said...

dude - you're so strong the wind just gets out of your way when you ride - the aero bars were just for show...