Thursday, February 14, 2008

should i be concerned?

while i am waiting for my computer to defrag - i was searching ideal weight, bmi etc....I got a bit concerned. Now, I bike a lot - not so much in the winter but I seemed to be off the charts a bit. i know there are some prof trained med peeps out there - do these scales account for a higher amount of muscle mass which could be construed as body fat? I guess i am not worried per se but just a bit shocked -

ok, the cpu is done with the defrag - back to the grind while i finish my danish. oh, well, maybe i didnt need it but it sure tastes good.

ac

4 comments:

Erik said...

Andy,
BMI without using calipers or using a water displacement system (the most accurate) can be thrown off my people that have an above average muscle to fat ratio. BMI when just using height versus weight is for the average person a fairly good indicator of where you are. I tend to run in the normal range but on the high end. You are most probably alright. Check your blood pressure and have a lipid panel (ie. cholesterol both hdl and ldl) run. These are other good indicators of overall health. You are at the age where men tend to start developing high bp and high cholesterol. I got checked up when I turned 30. I was borderline for bp so I went on a small amount of antihypertensives. Family history is a hard thing to fight, especially when you excercise regularly. Caffeine and salt also should be watched. Thanks,
Erik

Anonymous said...

i fell like i should have paid a co-pay - thank you! and no I wont pay a co-pay...but I will extend friendship for another year.

thanks bud.

jorgehuevo said...

erick you are so lucky to have andy as a friend, im so jealous

jajajaja

jorge

Erik said...

no co pay needed. Just let me draft off of you for another year!