Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Redemption?


Well, I guess the new name was the talk of the ride for a little bit here and there -- actually it was more like wise crack comments..." Hey Andy, do you have your keys????". Yeah, I get it. I wont be able to live that one down - its okay, I enjoyed the race and I was happy with how I did.

Tonights ride was interesting - threat of rain...the reality of rain...the enjoyment of salt, sand, spitting rain in the face all funneling down to the shoes. It started out fine with 7 riders in all - Bernie, John, Me (andy), Madonna, Jay H, Hemi and Andrea. Good to see Dave's single speed. It misted on and off while we did the Neilorator...going into St Michael it rained. Dave and Andrea headed back to the shop before then but the stupid few that went on were blessed with turning a light shade of brown. I felt stiff - slightly cold - mentally a bit wore out. I enjoy the severe weather riding, dont get me wrong, you just have to adjust a bit. We rolled out over the 144 stretch slightly offset to not get a mouth full of road slime and then we slowly ramped up the speed...no surprise...Bernie was with us. Me, Bernie and John broke off and kept up the speed...once again maxed out on rpm's as the single speed is not a high speed machine.

We made the turn to Dayton River Road and then to Pineview...super prime. It seemed all so quiet - Bernie said he didnt want to sprint in the rain so I assumed it would be casual...Then John lights it up the wall and I pick up chase. He is about 30 ft in front of me and I bridge the gap at the top of the first climb and latch onto his wheel...half way across the false flat I get the legs going like a sewing machine and pull off a win for Team Cannondale...its not really a team I guess - i was just riding one.

I must have been upset about dropping my keys - Redemption? Maybe so - but more importantly we had a blast riding with friends in some not so friendly conditions. If you can have fun in this stuff - what can stop you? Kudos to the group for one heck of a ride - if we could have taken a picture of us after the ride - it would have been priceless...we were a mess and we loved it!

3 comments:

OTR said...

Nice riding with you on Labor Day and some of the State RR! Wish you would have been around for the finish - it was epic! BTW - LIke Super D said, you're a shoe-in for a Skibby Award nomination.

Anonymous said...

One week Andy... are you ready?

Home Skillet said...

ready? yeah right. i am still trying to figure out a good gear to run for fat tire...got the tires, meth-amphetamines, aspirin, tube, key box on car, fat tire for the water bottles, and oh...my game face. i am going to have fun no matter what so i guess i as ready as parents having kids for the first time.