Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tuesday Night with Dave


Turn around point...into the wind this time.

WHAT A GREAT NIGHT to get out and pour some miles on the road. 8 started and Handyman Jeff peeled off at 144 and we continued to the Monticello Meander on this 80 deg day. Me, Dave, Melinda, Amy, Jorge, Dan and Larry finished a well paced ride through the Minnesota countryside...and I applaud all who rode. This heat was a bit more than we were used to so with that comes the reminder to load up on electrolyte stuff - I recommend E-Caps from Hammer. They do work and can save your arse on days like today.

We had two flats - me and Larry...I felt like an idiot as my CO2 stuff failed and the tire saint (Dave) picked up my slack...thanks. Dan broke a spoke today as well due to sheer power but made it in at top speed with a brake adjustment.

Sign racing was in full-effect...it seemed just about every dang sign was a challenge...and everyone got in on the hunt. I think some actually raced road barriers and mail boxes...makes for a good interval workout. The city signs were fought for....winners through the night...Amy, Me, Dave and I think Larry (Hassan?) and I think everyone got some sign here or there (if we are counting all signs...) The road north from Fletcher was the first big burn for me - I led out the group and kept the speed between 25-30 for two or three miles to the county sign...that sign was fought for between Larry, Dave and me - all watching eachother - who was going to go...first Dave, then Larry then I finished the sign...almost lost my lunch. Albertville sign was next and Amy jumped all over that one and got down in the tuck and burried that sign...then to Monti....Funny little ditty - the Monticello prime is interesting - it has a solid climb then drops to the sign. I love this hill - it seems to be the right grade to accelerate on. I jump 100 ft from the base of the 1/4 mile climb and gained a gap but didn't see Hogland on my left side - eased up at the top and jump the sprint and right at the sign Dave comes along side and we both lunged....winner....who really knows except God at this point so we paper/rock/scissored for the win....my shears cut Dave's paper in half...good laughs over that one. Always interesting to ride with Dave - he always has that smile as if he enjoys the pain...its encouraging.

We pace lined the ride from Monti to Otsego (I got the Otsego prime) in single file and taking 30 sec pulls into the wind. We kept the pace at 21 and all hung in just fine - even with the broken spoke. From Otsego to Dayton was my big lead out...i think its about 2 miles from 101 to Dayton with the climb before the prime - I led to the top as hard as I could to see 5 shadows on my wheel...i had nothing left to give as Dave got that sign - good tactics Dave.

We yellow signed Dayton River Road and I edged Dave on the Cloquet Park yellow sign at the top of the hill sprint and we made wrong turns to get to super prime...some went straight...some turned and took the back way which is longer. Larry, Dave and Jorge were 100 yds ahead on superprime when we turned the corner - I sprinted at the stop sign as they crested the wall - I made it up the wall fast and tried to bridge and I was 30 ft short of edging Larry/Dave....I think Dave got super prime coasting...ugh...spent and tired we made it to the shop for recovery...good ride and even better friends.

See ya next time!

almost forgot...I did witness Melinda kiss Jorge's butt...not sure what the reason was but it did happen...always a friendly bunch.

Andrew

No comments: