Thursday, May 07, 2009

no match!

Heading home from work to the group ride I ran into a first...a broken spoke on a very bad spot of road...the park at the coon rapids dam (the cracks really get your attention and I am not sure why i didn't take the road...the sidewalk is bad). Snap went the spoke and then the routine of wrapping the spoke up - and opening up the brakes....limp my way to the shop 5 miles down the road.

Once there - the group was just about to leave...no dice - have a nice ride guys...Matt gave me a ride home - thank you- and I grabbed the single speed 29er for a reunion ride with my ol'friend. I headed up super prime and straight into the park and did 12 miles of on/off road and then headed back to 144 and ended up at Walgreens where the group ride was resting...good timing.

Now, I obviously was not geared right - 36x17 on a 29er with 2.5 inch tires and medium psi...I held my own for a mile or two and had over 120+ rpms the entire stretch of 144. talk about cardio - whoa...it hurt. once at the junk yard hill - the group had managed to pull into normal fashion and road away - expected...Jorge - thanks for keeping in shouting distance.

Super prime was a sprint for me...and a walk in the park for Perry. I sprinted, pulled and knew I was just a mule for the real deal....quick ride back to the shop via the trails and decelerated my heart at the shop before heading home. With a quick stop at the grocery store - yes king dork with cycling clothes but we needed some things - I got home for some recovery.

Just when I thought the day was shot with the spoke....i got a workout that I was not expecting on the single speed. It was good to ramp up the rpms again and I had visions of Cheq dancing in my head. I kept picturing myself spinning out in the woods - chasing down the next rider - remembering to hammer down, pull back, pull up jam it forward in smooth rotation...it was a good day after all.

We did encounter another loss on the RAAM front - our final crew member had to back out for family medical issues...we are in need of one more to start - anyone?

Have a great weekend all 4 readers...family has my attention this weekend and rightfully so - they have put up with a lot of me not being around...


Andy

1 comment:

jorgehuevo said...

you did really good andy considering the gear you were pushing, it takes a lot of you to go that fast with such a small gear


have a good weekend
jorge