Saturday, July 14, 2007

Is comfort different for everyone?

I am a bit perplexed. As of late, I have been addicted to my old Cannondale - 88-89 ( one of the two). It is the 3.0 frame set - I say that like I know what that means - I really don't. Anyhoo, it is rigid, stiff and you feel everything on the road. Its compact and tight and exceptionally nimble - climbs like a goat. Last March I purchased a Bianchi Virata - the opposite in some respects - a little better and of course some things I can do without.

I went out tonight after a rather stressful last couple of days to the Fletcher TT course - a little course that is 9 miles that has hills, straights, flats, wind and ends with a good climb. I just got the Bianchi back from a tune up - thanks Mason - and was thinking...man this should be a good time to post. It was, I was happy but not comfortable. I am trying to put a finger on it but I cannot - maybe someone out there knows how I feel.

Virata - steel frame - carbon stays and fork. This thing has one heck of a smooth ride - holy crap it does. It is really like riding on water but I am thinking that might be my issue. I have been used to riding on the Cannondale for so long that still after a year and a half - I'm not used to smooth. Power transfer...frame flex...I am guessing I like the type of ride that you feel the road...

Am I crazy? Well, maybe this is the excuse I have been waiting for to get a different frame. Hmmm...less money than a new bike...Is there a good stiff compact frame set I should consider?

Your thoughts are welcome.


andy

3 comments:

Erik said...

The Orbea Orca is supposed to be good and stiff. Of course that is some serious dinero. Some serious money laundering would be needed to avoid the wife veto. Perhaps and offshore bank account! :)
Erik

Anonymous said...

thank you for the practical advise...i am going to Vegas at the end of the month...who knows...I may even end up with less than when i started...lol

Anonymous said...

Magnus B. (I don't know how to spell his last name) had Bianchi build him a super stiff aluminum bike. I wonder if they marketed the frame?
Neil