Monday, May 14, 2007

Why you do what you do...

I am sitting here listening to Yanni - you know, the familiar music of when alot of us got hooked on cycling. Early 90's, Yanni, LeMond, Bugno, Alcala ( that's for you Jorge) - the list continues. For me, it was a glimpse into the competitive world of something so fascinating... watching Greg and his comeback from near death. Watching cyclists fly over the top of towering mountains when I struggled over Grandad's Bluff - wondering how they did what they did. I still wonder actually. This song from Yanni was my favorite - I still remember having it on my walkman with it tucked into the back of my make-shift cycling shorts sprinting down west ave in LaCrosse - imagining taking the lead in the final stage...I always won by 8 sec.

That desire, passion, whatever you want to call it was a way out, a way to be the best, a way to push myself in something. It was unique. It was painful and I loved it! Once in college it was a chance to skip class to ride and ride alot. I remember heading out early with my roomie Jay for endless rides, getting chased down by the same dang dog on Cty Road C - he got me once. Between citizen races, local mt bike races and racing jay down waterstreet (looser bought wings and beer that night) - I remember the ride - the open road so to speak and the gift I was given to enjoy this wonderful sport.

Now - I see that gift giving back. Now, I see four guys giving their love and devotion to make a difference...not for their own glory but for kids who need help. How remarkable - touching and impressive. I happen to see a blog from an old friend with a picture of Steve Prefontaine on it...it reminded me of a quote that I love so much and was glad to be reminded of it - thanks Nomadgirl...

"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift."

To the RAAM guys - your motives are pure and your friendship is priceless. Your obstacles are many and the pain will be endless but I know you - it will be met with a smile knowing that you will not allow this challenge, this gift to be sacrificed. Dont worry, you have given your best already - you have decided to give to those you do not know for reasons you may never understand - and you ask nothing in return.

I am proud to know you, glad to ride with you and honored to be your friend. Camp Odayin couldn't have a better team of riders and for certain, they could have better people out there than you. My hats off to you.

till the next ride....


andy

1 comment:

B Train said...

Thanks Andy! You really hit our motivations right on.

We are still looking to raise money for Camp Odayin as well as recruit another 1 to 2 crew members.

If you or anyone you know is interested, please email me at bernie.kaeferlein@medtronic.com