Friday, May 18, 2007

Gears? What gears? I only have one

What an interesting ride and thank you Jay for the inspiration. Don't get me wrong, it was difficult with the one gear option on theThursday night ride. 45 plus miles - perfect weather and tons of wind. What gear is best, better yet...are my legs ready? How about my mind - that's a better question. The psychology of single speed is complex in that you are always aware of 200 yards up the road...simple in that you know you have to make it work no matter what. Sprint up or power up each hill to keep the momentum up...enjoy coasting and find that happy medium of speed vs. uber max heart rate. There were times when I was watching the shadow of my legs and all I thought of was a sewing machine - I had absolutely no more pedal - you all know the feeling - descending down some massive hill in your biggest gear and you cant eek out even a touch more power. Riding like that everyday...will either kill you or cement your future strength.

Ill admit - it is fun to blast away with the lead group when I can but knowing that the workout was that intense - no matter where you ride...that my friends was priceless. Yes I love the Bianchi I just bought but that 1989 Cannondale - the first bike I bought - still hums along with the same memories as it did back then. I will never give up this beauty.

So, if you plan to SS anytime soon, give it a whirl or... just let the few of us do it - we enjoy knowing that each ride is about 30% "or more" a harder work out on the same miles...

See you all on the road -

No comments: