Sunday, June 04, 2006

A More Serious Note....if you will.

I hope you have one of these....it is rather important in life and it is also a tremendous barometer of who you are. Simply put, a friend. Okay, we all have one or a few but do we have one that you would put your life in jeopardy for? Ahh, now it gets a bit serious and the list shortens up by a few. Well, I have a few like that. I am not bragging, just thankful. The bond is strong, the trust is lasting and the loyalty is endless -- and it is now tested. Though I cannot give my life for his nor take the pain away for another, in this case, I can give my best through the trial - happy with the outcome knowing that all was done.
My friend, in this case, is Adam. Strong, cheerful, giving, a bit too serious at times like the time I caught him taking inventory of the crabapples on his tree. Funny. He is like this. He is also very ill - cancer ( soft tissue ) stage 4. Just found out about 4 months ago. Had a chance to see him yesterday after 3 bouts with chemo and to my surprise - smiling, joking, making fun of me in my cycling shorts and so on... Adam is like that. Though the growth has stopped, the pain is subsided and the odds were beat - the chance of relaps is great. A friend I wish I could change places with...but I cant.


Tonight at church was a time for me to reflect on life...Rule #6 was in full effect ---> SEE THE LINK ON THE RIGHT <---- issues are big, strong, ugly issues. In fact, I am not sure how to actually face my not too distant future - it is serious. But all I could think about was - " am I that self-centered that I only think of me....what about Adam, his wife and baby?" Wow, good ol' number six - smacked me right in the face.

I leave you with a hymm written in 1912 that made me realize that I need to do my best like Adam is doing right now - and take your pick as to which area of our lives it is referencing - all areas are under construction.

Our Best Hear ye the Masters call, Give me thy best..For, be it great or small, that is His Test..Do then the best you can, not for reward.. Not for the praise of men, but for the Lord..Wait not for men to laud, heed not their slight..Winning the smile of God brings its delight! .. Aiding the good and true, Ne'er goes unblest, All that we think or do, be it the best

Our best...well, Adam still gives his best and his chips are down and the sunset of his days may be at hand...how much more can we reach out with strength in our fingers, hair on our heads - you know? Why does it have to take extreme folly and tragedy to bring the best in us out?

Keep Adam in your prayers - it is needed.

1 comment:

Home Skillet said...

that would be a great idea! I know that his church is taking care of his needs as he cant work right now....his dear wife is taking care of two kids now - he thinks its an unfair intro to motherhood - he laughs. Adam lives right on one of the main bike routes we come back on - I saw him yesterday in his yard picking flowers as I rode by. That would be a GREAT way to help out.