Monday, July 13, 2009

more on the mt bike

got home in time to mow the grass...the slightly brown grass. Noticed the creeping charlie has worked his way into my yard more and more. I guess its time to some how convince the moles in my yard to tunnel just under the creeping charlie so it dies off. I hate spraying all the needed weed killer (of only one that i know of that kills that stuff) when i have kids on summer vacation. we have enough chemicals in our lives that adding to the grass - then drinking it later from the well - just messes with my mind. anyhoo. did the normal off road loop tonight in the dark and forgot to tighten the chain on the single and it was loose enough on bumpy downhills to pop off a few times - i hate that and I hate that I didnt check it first.

I do appreciate good lighting on a bike as it allows for taking advantage of the dark hours allowing for me being home when the family is up. As of late - the riding has almost taken a spiritual turn for me. I think everyone can say that cycling is spiritual so say I took it a few steps further than before. Without sounding all spooky, it [cycling] has allowed me to breath deep and assess the issues in my life. you know these issues, the ones we normally dont broadcast at all to anyone but keep deep inside until it tears you apart from time to time. Maybe that is why I loved RAAM so much b/c it forced me to disassociate completely from everything BUT cycling and moving forward. I think the only time I had time to think about these issues was early on while moving through monument valley at like mindnight. Struck by the silence of the night and the inspiring display of stars [no equal in my mind], I found myelf talking through my dysfunctionalism.

Tonight was no different. Since RAAM, I have found a way to deluge myself into cycling within minuets of being on the road - almost catotaonic in seconds. It almost sounds new-age but not really - its just a focus that is found quickly. What I love about it is that I can just "be" and not "do" anything but ramp up my efforts for the hills, flats or whatever is just ahead. It isnt about that rider or their bike or anything - me and the bike alone with God.

So when yesterdays wipe out happened - i guess it didnt really bother me too much. Yeah walking home 4 miles was a drag in cycling shoes but the time alone was needed and maybe that accident - or lack of single track ability - was just what the doctor ordered. Tonight was a treat - short though it became - as it was fast and smooth, racing in the dark, no competition except my accelerated heart rate and sewing machine type cadence.

I am glad I have and hope others will find a way to escape the day when needed...be it a book or music, a walk or a bike ride, sitting alone or with friends...the escape allows us to not be locked into the rat race without end.

ac

1 comment:

AndiR said...

Wow--great, well written post! Stay strong and keep pedaling...that light is shining at the end of the tunnel (and it's not just your "night light" :-). Yep, creeping charlie is a bear...you're pretty much stuck with using Round-up to get rid of it.

Keep sharing--you've got lots of friends/family here to rally around ya! Now get your ars out on the trail/road...LOL.