Saturday, February 21, 2009

Magic pixy dust and SHAZZAM....



After being totally dehydrated and all things associated with flu - details spared - I headed out for some miles on the single speed RAT to test the ankle. 4 days off the bike was a killer but I dont remember 2 of the days as they were spent in a cloudy haze doped up on magic pixy dust (pharmaceuticals) in efforts to dull the pain of the little bugs dancing in my blood stream.

Super windy, chilly and with dreams of mocha's by the fireplace in my head...I hesitated to even put on the battle gear of weird colored lycra in fear of the cold and frozen fingers. At that moment I realized - with a quick glance at the RAAM site - that each day counts. Grab the granola bar, extra hand warmers, extra gloves and threw on the 08 TSH jersey over the top of my jacket and cranked some POM on the pint sized juke box and away I went.

All streets and no trails and it took until the top of super prime to get warm. I have noticed that the SP climb is getting easier and easier - this is good - but then again it is a lower gear but I'll take the little victories to get to the goal.

My turn around spot was EC ski parking lot and as always I look for the likes of Neil, Bernie, John and so on - no luck. Heading home was a chore into the wind and it didnt take much to drop my temp to points of unusually uncomfortable. No ankle pain and my body is still overcoming the dehydration. I am amazed at how much water you loose with the flu if you are not careful.

Got home with some time to spare, grabbed the kids and went to Target, got some dinner fixins, made some popcorn after dinner, played some UNO with the kids and then made a fort downstairs and enjoyed a Lucasfilm creation - Return of the Jedi. I have this movie memorized - sad....and I am proud. Great to share some memories of my kidhood with my kids. Besides, I was sick of getting handed 5 straight losses to my youngest in UNO. After the 5th win I smiled, said good job, he laugh at me and then I pushed him over....I am a bully and after the incident where he lightsabered me where it counts - he had it coming.

Enjoy the weekend!

1 comment:

F.W. Adams said...

Sounds like a great, well-rounded day--props for making time for the family, too!