Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Sharing a 40 with friends...


Yes and no - the answers to your questions in advance...

Monday afternoon.

It was 40 miles with my bud Andy Prest...and no there wasnt a 40 oz shared at the end of the ride...should have though. Note to self. Andy is working very hard to get himself up to full iron man tri status. He was doing half/mini tris last year on my Cannondale and then graduated to a Moto tri bike with all the fancy shiznit. I rode the blue thunder ss with 42/15 . He is gettin good and he loves it when the ride or workout hurts...he actually laughs and has that look in his eye that Bernie has. This is a good sign. He and I go back to 1992 when we worked together up north and he is a fitness hound. Incredible soccer player - hence the funky socks he wore today...

We live close to each other but dont see each other nearly enough - ask about the story - it is worth a 10 min listen-too on the bike. So I get the call...."Andy, we NEED to ride longer distance and much faster than 13 mph max." "I'm game," I replied and we took off at like 2 pm from his home in old town Dayton. So we headed to the Coon Rapids Dam and then to the TH shop and a loop in the park. Our goal was to sit at 20 + as much as possible. I was a bit worried as it was chilly but a really nice day ( Monday ) but after the first 3 miles - it was all good. We cranked all the way down to the dam at 23-24...had to ease back going down the corridor and then we really cranked it up in the park - be cautious on the leaves - we both almost went down several times. I know we have said it before but that EC park is insane for a work out.

Whenever there was an open stretch or dry ground, Prest and I would lay it all out. Wide open trails too - didnt see a soul except for Neil and Erik. I was proud of Prest - the more it hurt...the more he was saying " now this is training and man it's going to hurt tomorrow. "

Prest is excited like we all were when we started biking - couldn't wait to get going...and he was highly visible with his bumble bee socks - he looked like some urban cyclo - psycho cross fixie fanatic but on the tri-bike. lol.

THEN ONTO TONIGHT>>>>>>

Went to the ramp and met up with Carol and Paul. one word....COLD. That wind was brutal even in the ramp. 10 laps for me and I was on the Cheq Rat bike with a 38x16 and 50 psi tires. I didnt mean to sound like some guy showing off the specs of my bike - it is good to know on a single what someone rode - a benchmark. Yes, it hurt. my best time out there for a full up and down and around the base is 2 min 9 sec (blue thunder). I set a time on the RatBike single mt bike at 2 min 21 sec....thanks to Sarver timing.

This beer tastes sooooo good. so another 5 miles of climbing in MN. Gotta love it.

No comments: