Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Dayton Cyclo-Cross...I won

Okay - seeing that cyclo is really cool and the buzz is in the air...i opted for my first solo cyclo cross event. Work sucked today - it was tough. More mental than anything. I stared out the window as the rain dripped down the glass. The mundane atmosphere made for an almost depressing mood. I also had not been on the bike in a while and I am sure that had something to do with it. My thoughts were funneling back to pushing the pedals over and over. Feeling the wind in my face was an obsession by about 1 pm. I made the decision to bike no matter what after work. I have cool weather gear, I have all that I need to make that obsession a reality.

So I ditched work, raced home - breaking the law - loaded up the duds and fired up the rat bike for an adventure through the park and then to spin class at the shop. On my way out, Tina says that the movie is due so I tuck in the backpack and head to the movie shop by PDQ. All of our roads are torn up - all mud with HUGE puddles. The rain was steady and I was a mess by the time I left my neighborhood and I felt like a kid again. Leaving PDQ I headed in the deep mud past Dayton elementary and that is an even bigger mess. Cars were stuck right in the middle of the road. I was trying to keep the rpm's up and keep my bike up - it worked...no getting off the bike for 1 mile in the slime, mud goop. Into the park I head straight past Pineview down that old trail - blast through the west side of the park and up past Bernies to the shop. 1 hr 45 min of spinning later - back home. Riding at night is surreal to say the least. So with 20 miles on the mt bike and who knows how far on a spin bike - I am now happy.

Great job duck hunters - I would love to try a real cyclo-cross event. I think I need to figure out how to dismount though - watching Cullen wipe out makes me wonder....


andy

No comments: