Sunday, March 14, 2010

back to some story telling....thank you Erik




Could you believe today? I mean, it was fantastic all around - except for Maria who is a bit ill today. It started with me scheduled to be in Apple Valley for volleyball and then Maria was a mess.....so VB was nixed on our end....this opened up the option to bike with the group. It didn't disappoint at all.

25 some people - everyone smiles. It was like the moment in the Wizard of Oz when it all went color. The light turned on, the legs felt fresh, the road was quick and everyone was itchin to just - well....be there.

Some familiar faces and some new ones - but then again i didn't ride with the group that much last year so I am sure I am a new face as well to many. It was fun to get to know some new friends. For those looking to blast the ride - they were happy. For those looking to sit back and enjoy and smooth ride...they were happy. It worked very well today.

The single speed (yet to be named) was a nice ride. the geometry is a bit different but close enough for government work. I think I will shorten the stem a bit or get new bars. The 72 gear inch was a good match for today and i think it will be the primary gear for road as long as the hills don't get too steep. When we were cooking with gas, it was comfy to sit at 23 with my HR at 169 - once to 175-179 i was feeling the burn. In an effort to keep watt training going - i was trying to be mindful of perceived effort and real effort. I figure it doesn't hurt to train a bit during a nice group ride. Of course - if you ride the single speed you will get a workout no matter what.

Jay, Mel and myself had single speeds and the speed demon was Mel. Heading into Otsego I glanced back to see someone in no-mans-land and when i turned around the lead group was 30 ft in front of me....i was cooked and didn't feel the need to spike my heart rate to bridge that gap. I rode in with with the other group and it was concluded you would be hard pressed to find a better day to ride - considering the first real nice day it seemed like a once in a lifetime day to get out. glad to see everyone.

some recovery foods, muscle milk, water and ecaps and all is good.

see ya later yall.



ac

No comments: