Sunday, November 11, 2007

Reminded of the frailty of Life...

It never ceases to stun me...the loss of life I mean. It seems so artificial these days with all the acting on TV or the laize faire reporting of killing, death murder. Well, it seems this way to me as it really doesn't hit home that much -until a day ago. How close to we come to the inevitable every day? I dont want to stop and think about it but it is good to realize that our lives are held in a very delicate balance from the Almighty. I am not afraid of what will happen to me - I am confident beyond a shadow of a doubt my fate once my heart stops working - I am not being cocky here just confident. ( for more information read the Bible and go to Church )

Saturday morning I woke up to a near perfect day - warm....the day off....the sun was out....the bike was ready the night before complete with water bottles filled ready for the Jay 100K. Then the call came in from mother in law - Tina's uncle had fallen down some stairs the night prior and they found him a few hours later. The fall knocked him out and I guess the way he landed, it cut off his breathing - they did CPR and he was on life support and was brain dead. Just like that it was over - and this morning they took him off life support.

Whenever I hear of a family member or someone I know that passes on - it think good and hard about how I am living my life. Are the things I am focusing on things that will matter for a lifetime? Am I doing that which is good and honorable to the Lord? (see Neils excerpts on this)

So....when I look back on the weeks prior - and I say that I am bummed cuz I didnt get to bike at all - I know that I can say that I encouraged my kids, help in cub scouts, taught in Sunday School, preached in Jr Church, made dinner for the family, prayed with my kids every night...you get the idea. This weekend was a reminder and wake up call that tomorrow or even the next 5 mins are not guaranteed and what we do NOW is important.

hope to hit the bike though this week - it is the best therapy.


andy

1 comment:

nerdman said...

I am sorry. You are right, get up everyday and help.