Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Going back to D.C.

Kinda excited here - going to DC for the annual trip for work. Prior to last years trip - it was 1982 when I was last in D.C. with my parents. Funny thing was that I had chicken pox about mid road trip that year. Boy did that suck. Sitting in the back seat with my older sister - yuck - with chicken pox - double yuck - on the road straight through to D.C. - and my mom smoked - infinite yuck. Last year - airplane and cocktails on the flight - a much better method of travel. I do love the road trip however. Seeing the country from the road - the ability to get out and look about - priceless to say the least. I do have fond memories of visiting Civil War sights back in the 80's - we went to Gettysburg PA and walked the fields and that was an impressive feeling.

Last year was really cool - we only had 2 days so we tried to pick the best things to do in that amount of time. Due to the nature of my job, we opted to hit some of the memorials of wars since past. The WWII memorial is pretty neat and of course the Vietnam Memorial was stunning. You can see where chalk or conte crayons marked the black marble where family members etched the memory of loved ones onto paper. I had the chance to talk with some vets that were there - and a few cried hugging my neck. That was a moment I wont forget.

Another moment I wont forget was the trip in the 80's when Reagan was in the White House. We had taken a tour as a family and when we were going from room to room, we heard what sounded like a herd of wingtips scuffling down the hallway - it was distracting to say the least. We were in the Lincoln room or something like that and all of a sudden the man himself stuck his head in and said " Howdy folks! Welcome to the White House! I hope you like what I've done to the place. Enjoy your stay!" R.Reagan impressed even a youngster with his smile a mile wide - my parents who hated the guy were also impressed.

So this year we go for work and play I guess. I will have to forgo the Loon Party but to pass up an all expenses paid trip to DC would be foolish.


andy

5 comments:

Erik said...

If you see George, tell him to check my blog! :)

Anonymous said...

Im sure he already has. comments like yours are being monitored by the NSA - i know for a fact you are on their list.

Erik said...

Sweet! I am stoked someone is listening!

Anonymous said...

they are watching too. by the way - it was good to see you the other night. so you going to the PRIII?

Erik said...

I am out! to cold for me. I am going to spend the time with my family and ride indoors. Have a good time.