Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Outstanding Ride - wow.

this pic is for you Jay


If you have not had a chance to take the road less travled in Elm Creek.... I mean those dirt pathways you catch a glimpse of every now and then while on asphalt. There is a whole new side to the park that you just don't see. As a side note....My neighbor Gary told me that many many years ago you used to be able to go down pineview - and after super preme the road used to go straight through where the park is now. It used to pass by some apple orchards. He has lived here a long time. I thought this was very interesting. If I am not mistaken , there is evidence of this on some of the wide open pea gravel parts of the park trail system. Jay, you probably know of this....

I took the new single speed out for a run. I found out that the 38x19 works pretty good. There are some interesting hills to navigate with one gear. I was wincing up one hill and there were some hikers at the top watching me come up the hill. I had no choice but to get up without getting off the bike - vanity I say. Once I reached the summit - they asked why I didn't shift to make it easy - I was so proud to say, " that would be the normal thing to do but I only have one gear." They asked if that was by choice. " Yup, ( breathing heavy ) that was by choice." I thought it was cool that I did it.....they probably thought I was nuts!

I flushed a few grouse, saw three fawns - spots almost gone. Almost went extremely horizontal on the wet grass at unsafe speeds - slicks were not the best choice. LOL. I then got lost and then caught a glimpse of the path and other people. I careened through the brush and emerged blasting onto the trail - dragging some vine thing wrapped around my rear hub. I am not sure what the people thought of that but I was glad to be heading a direction back towards civilization. I really like that you can loose yourself out there - not really loose as you are always going to find a road. Take a ride anywhere in the park and stop every now and then and just breath deep - God made the small details in life and sometimes you have to slow down to see and enjoy them.

Enjoy the ride. I was glad to get back into the woods - it has been too long since I got in touch with the Thoreau side of things. Addicting. That is how it should be.

AC


ps. got a wonderfully kept bridgeston MB3 with deore group stuff on it....for free! now, my wife is excited about biking as it looks " stylish " and it has shiney things on it. this is one nice bike. finally, my wife likes biking - and all it took was the right color....lol.

No comments: